30 6

Are you an authentic person?

When I'm thinking about an authentic person I mean you don't wear the masks to fit into this words, you have your own way, you're in peace with all you do and you are in your life.

By Sensiwoman7
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

30 comments

"I'm not a man of too many faces
The mask I wear is one."

-Sting-

I tend to think "authenticity" is overrated at best, and misleading at worst.

KenChang Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

Interesting quote and your idea the same!

depends on the last burrito i ate.

hankster Level 8 Nov 8, 2018

I might be, but it's one of those things I can't self-diagnose. At any rate, I find 'authentic' is another one of those words that's become an irritating bragging point, a way for people to think they're so much better than everyone else when, in reality, it's a very small triumph. If I am, that's great. If I'm not, it's no skin off my nose.

memorylikeasieve Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

That's true. I think this word "authentic" might be just a small part of our analysis!

I strive to be authentic. I'm authentic enough to admit i fail in that task sometimes. I'm authentic enough to stand by my principles and thought systems based on evidence based truth knowing that It will likely cause discord with different minded people.

kensmile4u Level 8 Nov 9, 2018

hell no, i don't always have my own way (no one does or should), i'm not at peace with all i do and am in my life, and i fail to see how this makes me an inauthentic person. what a weird definition!

g

genessa Level 8 Nov 8, 2018

For the most part. We all wear masks of some variety, however.

maturin1919 Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

I think I tend to agree with you. It all depends on the context... who you're around at any particular instance.

@bingst It's either the Japanes or Chinese who have a saying that is summed up thusly:

Everyone wears three masks;
one the public sees,
one friends and family see,
and one only the individual sees.

@ maturin1919 It might be true!

Edited

Nope. I am a cheap substitute.

Sticks48 Level 8 Nov 8, 2018

But at least u r not religious like the poster . !!!

@Pralina1 True. I do have that.

@Sticks48 trolls and Nigerians wives 😉

There's Japanese story which says that we all wear three faces - one that you show the world, one that you show to your close relatives and friend, and one that is known only to you.

Spongebob Level 6 Nov 8, 2018

No. Im a master at the mask game. Its just easier in my world. I honestly don't think im even authentic when im alone.

MarvelAnn Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

That is the key. Who are you and what do you want?

@clarkems Good question.

@MarvelAnn search your heart, my dear, and step forward. smile009.gif

@clarkems Meh. Im not there yet. Im a single mom, and a teacher.Who has time for soul searching. Sure as hell not me. I'm day by day here.

Edited

@MarvelAnn you know yourself better than anyone. I trust your instincts and intuition. If you are a teacher, you have obvious intelligence and can overcome any obstacles, right?

I'm the only me l know, so l stick with that.

ronin73 Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

All my life, I've been told people are drawn to me because I am 'authentic'. I'm not afraid to admit I've made a mistake, feel vulnerable at the moment, or to laugh at myself. I'm far from perfect but, to wear a 'mask' is more work than I care to do. I make it a point to conduct myself so I very rarely have to feel ashamed or guilty but I have still used poor judgment at times. When I realize I've screwed up, I offer sincere apologies. I've never permanently lost a valued friendship or had a bad 'break up'. I'm pretty much at peace 99% of the time.

Spudnut Level 6 Nov 8, 2018

Yes I'm completely self-contained of course that makes me weird and different and so I don't really hang out with other people a lot I'm self-employed and I own my own home and I have no bills so I live a life that most people can't imagine I only work three to four days a week 4 to 6 hours a day and I do whatever I want whenever I want and however I want I sleep when I'm tired and I wake up when I'm not tired I wear no mask I am who I am

Drsmash253 Level 7 Nov 9, 2018

That's great!! Take care and keep balance smile009.gif

I'm glad I don't have to work that much!

Are you?

Anniemae Level 8 Nov 8, 2018

Yes, I am.

Yes

Ostopal Level 6 Nov 8, 2018

Yeah, I'm pretty authentic; a good 65 or 70% I'd say. Depends a lot on the circumstances. When I'm at home, with familiar people, I'm probably 115% authentic. When I'm in public, my persona seems to downshift to something more socially acceptable. I'm at my most authentic when I'm asleep.

skado Level 8 Nov 8, 2018

Haha that seems like funny. I think our authenticity can to see more clear in different and difficult situations.

Edited

I'm a fake.

Secretguy Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

So is she!

@Anniemae We're perfect for each other!

@Secretguy I love it when two kindred souls find each other!

@Secretguy's you seems like funny!

Edited

Yes

Gatovicolo Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

Damn straight

Seeker3CO Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

I try to be, but I am human, so I imagine it does not work out all the time.

creative51 Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

That's true..

I'm pretty much a what you see, well and hear, is what you get kind of person.

TristanNuvo Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

All my masks are also very authentic. Otherwise they would be useless.

But in truth we are all who we want to be when we want to be it. Staying true to your core values is integral but the rest of it is about learning and trying/experiencing everything. At least in my opinion, anything outside my normal activities is requiring you to go outside the box of your current definition of yourself...it is how we grow and improve, no?

maxhyde Level 7 Nov 15, 2018

I prefer my women to be latex.

Secretguy Level 7 Nov 10, 2018

Authentic, for the most part, yes. The teaching portion of my job dictates I maintain a decorum that is somewhat politically/(anti-religion) muted but I do stress critical thinking and the need to question (all) assertions.

Outside of work, I speak my mind and often enjoy educating theists.

If you are asking if I wear a mask to conceal who I am and what I believe, No. Although my position alienates most in this part of the world, I don't sugar coat who I am.

NoMagicCookie Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

Makes me feel like I'm missing something. These seem like 4 different ideas. I may be authentic, but speak differently to different people. I don't address my children like engineers. I have my own way, but it's been far from peaceful. I would also think that it's hard to be alive without being in your life. I don't know. Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

ownworstenemy Level 5 Nov 8, 2018

How does one define authentic? We do this thing called code-switching where we change our language based upon who we are interacting with. Is someone inauthentic for doing something they can’t help? I like to think of authenticity in the person as being unapologetic for who you are and what you believe. Not sure how others would think about it.

MarshallS Level 1 Nov 8, 2018
Write Comment
Humanist does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Humanist.comis the largest non-profit community for humanists!