15 16

God's Truth - Lies and Liars

"Theologians are adepts when it comes to disguising the problems, redactions, plagiarism, and downright fraud in their holy scriptures. But beneath the veneer of scholarly euphemisms, one thing becomes very clear -- lies and liars."

By VictoriaNotes8
Actions Follow Post Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see a new term to me, "In Deutero". Was that a Nirvana album?

Heathen69 Level 2 Jan 18, 2019

For probably thousands of years, wandering migrants and traders swapped stories. Each time these tales were woven, changes were made. Tales from many cultures intermingled into what was eventually written, edited, translated, censored, and made to be politically correct. I.e. It is all BS and there can be no such a thing as an original edition (text)

Heathen69 Level 2 Jan 18, 2019

I did know know the meaning of "deutero," and find that quite interesting. However, The Hebrew Scriptures, like many other myths, was passed orally before the texts were committed to writing. By default, many of the texts are "deutero" due to this. It is widely accepted that The Hebrew Scriptures have five authors: Y/J, E, P, D and the Redactor (the editor who tried to align the works). The Jews also created other documents to explain the discrepancies, i.e. the Midrash explains the two accounts of creation by introducing Lilith as Adam's first wife. I also read (don't ask me where--it was long ago) that the ancient Jews did not see the mythic elements of The Pentateuch as actual history, i.e. Eden was symbolic. Linguists can easily tell which texts are written by the same person. Christians will use Josephus as a proof that Jesus existed because there are two references to him, but one mentions James, brother of the "so-called Christ," and the other uses language/style not used by Josephus and is a later insertion by a Christian editor.

Gwendolyn2018 Level 7 Dec 30, 2018

" . . . did NOT know." Geez.

The truth of the non existent would suggest to me no truth at all smile001.gif

ipdg77 Level 8 Dec 29, 2018

Agreed,the only truth to any religion is that there's no truth to it at all. The easily debunked fables, prophesies that never came true,and the contradictions.

I have wondered for a while if there were “original texts” at all. If the books were written just to appear to be copies of (non-existent) older manuscripts. Then the users of the texts could assert that the dogma was older than it really is. It is likely that most of the Old Testament wa forged by scribes of king Josiah to justify his conquest of the northern kingdom. The New Testament was composed by the Roman rulers to help subjugate the lower classes in one easily controlled brain washing system. Somewhat effective as they keep the sheep killing each other rather than the patricians.

Detritus Level 6 Dec 24, 2018

I read an article once that the bible is STILL to this day being written.No one doubted the bible was written by humans. Maybe inspired by god but the writing continues.

The only thruth to religion is that there's no thruth to it at all.

Ritchie Level 5 Dec 22, 2018

Excellent presentation. I would caution, however, that deciding whether someone is being fraudelent or out as opposed to inadvertently or ignorantly passing along incorrect informaton is largely a matter of intent. In the biblical writings, I would suggest that much of the contents were intentionally designed to win followers and convince others to behave in certain ways, but much of it, even though false, was written with genuine conviction of its truthfulness. By the way, I love the picture of the really ripped Jesus in the intro to some of the presentations in this series. Not exactly the way he is generally represented. Gave me a good laugh.

I got a kick out of that as well. smile002.gif

"but much of it, even though false, was written with genuine conviction of its truthfulness."

I wouldn't go so far as to say "much of it." Perhaps, some of it. We have no original manuscripts so we really don't know what was actually written. Those that wrote it may have intended for it to be legendary stories --- works of fiction, with exception to Paul, who has been evaluated by neurologists as likely having had a neurological disorder (temporal lobe epilepsy aka complex partial seizures) where he exhibited symptoms of hyperreligiosity, a major feature of this disorder as well as other related symptoms.

Thank you for taking the time to watch and give feedback.

Lies upon filthy lies. And what a hell of a way to spread a message of such supposedly crucial importance to mankind (eternal salvation) - by proxy through corrupted texts and languages that die off. PREPOSTEROUS.

Rossy92 Level 8 Dec 21, 2018

Lies, lies, lies, and more lies. All a part of their playbook. It is the lies that anger and "get to me" the most 25 wasted years living, and promoting the lies.

Ginaphil Level 4 Dec 19, 2018

It took me the bigger part of my lifetime to find out that all of it is written by holy liars from the beginning. I'm glad for the knowledge I gained but as a one time bible literalist my past had a lot of pain.

DenoPenno Level 8 Dec 18, 2018

I hear you, Deno, and can relate. The feeling of betrayal is indescribable and I grieved for a couple of years after realizing I had wasted so much of my life on lies. Like you, I'm glad for the knowledge I've gained. I'm sorry for your painful past.

@VictoriaNotes It's hard to hate others for it because they had the same lies passed on to them in childhood. The hard thing is all that wasted time on nonsense and knowing that it still goes on today.

@DenoPenno I agree. I don't hate them, but there's really no excuse for clergy in this day and age. Job security.

I have always questioned the authenticity of the Bible.

Seeker55 Level 8 Dec 18, 2018

Nice to see you again. It's been a while. Thanks for commenting.

@VictoriaNotes Hey!....I have been here, mostly hanging out in the more "fleshy" groups...heh. Message me and let me know how you are doing.

The book "The Closing of the Western Mind" by Charles Freeman demonstrates how early Christians fought over seemingly minor items like the question of whether Jesus was human or a god. Those aspects went back and forth and when one version gained favor the adherers of the other group were fought and even killed. This went on and on so we basically have a clear history of one written by the victors.
One thing that most forget is that the letters were said to be (in the Catholic bible anyway) "according to" not "by". Very very few in this period were literate, including Jesus so history was passed down orally and later written down and censored. Then it was translated in many languages and copied by people, usually monks, who had their own ideas and sometimes changed what was written. The King James version was commissioned by King James I with a set of goals in mind, "James gave the translators instructions intended to ensure that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology of, and reflect the episcopal structure of, the Church of England" one of which was to raise the status of the king.
Yes, like most religions it is pure BS and I have to laugh when I hear the term, "Biblical scholars."
I had a good friend who was brought up in a Catholic seminary ([stonyhurst.ac.uk]. He noticed that those who agreed to study for their orders were the simple minded and seldom questioned things. He had questions and left.

JackPedigo Level 8 Dec 18, 2018

"Those aspects went back and forth and when one version gained favor the adherers of the other group were fought and even killed. This went on and on so we basically have a clear history of one written by the victors."

I haven't read the book but I did learn of this when I was researching its history.

"I have to laugh when I hear the term, "Biblical scholars."

I know, right?

I put this short video together a few years back --- quotes from (actual) prominent, world-renown biblical scholars and archeologists.

Jesus would have a lot of explaining to do. smile009.gif

PS -- you probably won't like the music, haha, but you can turn the volume down.

@VictoriaNotes Victoria, Thaaank you for this (the music was fine. I am not the musical snob some might take me for). Some time ago I got really pissed off with an article in the National Geographic about archeological discoveries in the "holy land." I know the magazine did not want to alienate their religious readers and actually included ideas of miracles and other myths. It was a complete white washing of the findings. I wrote them and gave them a piece of my mind. Recently, the Smithsonian also had an article about research in this area. In the end it was basically said there is no consensus that previous myths were true. It could have gone further but I understand their position.

As an Atheist ( and still am an Atheist) studying Theology and Comparative modern Religions I often posed many similar questions and simply got the same answers as; " It is NOT for you to question, it IS simply for you to believe and thus make those who follow your teachings to believe as well."
That, basically, is the Credo of Seminaries of Xtianity.

Triphid Level 7 Dec 18, 2018

I got the same BS when I was questioning---scripture like "Do not lean on your own understanding" and My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."

Lies and liars.

I heard or read somewhere that seminary is where people go to lose their faith. Even the indoctrinated, once they dig deep into it, realize it just falls apart.

@greyeyed123 Well in my experience it's where they go to learn how to get the things they want by swindling them out of the feeble, weak-minded Believers.

We are far from the days that Priest learned and gave mass in Latin so nobody can contradict them.

you're on a roll!

Lukian Level 8 Dec 18, 2018

Exactly. I was raised Catholic and we were not allowed to interpret scripture. Only the priests were allowed to. Surprise, surprise.

Bart Ehrman wrote:

“One of the most amazing and perplexing features of mainstream Christianity is that seminarians who learn the historical-critical method in their Bible classes appear to forget all about it when it comes time for them to be pastors. They are taught critical approaches to Scripture, they learn about the discrepancies and contradictions, they discover all sorts of historical errors and mistakes, they come to recognize that a good number of the books of the Bible are pseudonymous (for example, written in the name of an apostle by someone else), that in fact we don't have the original copies of any of the biblical books but only copies made centuries later, all of which have been altered. They learn all of this, and yet when they enter church ministry they appear to put it back on the shelf."

VictoriaNotes Level 8 Dec 18, 2018
Write Comment
Humanist does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Humanist.com is the largest non-profit community for humanists!