25 2

What happened after death

By bonobo
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

25 comments

A beautiful white woman with wings in a white gown comes, speaks to you in a soothing voice, takes you by the hand and leads to a WONDERRRFUL PLACE where everyone is happy, there's soft music playing and it's full of smiling Christians... that's right, YOU'RE IN HELL.

PalacinkyPDX Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

Remember where you were in the year 1843? You go there again.

SkotlandSkye Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

A few seconds after death I immediately went back to the exact same place I was ten months before I was conceived.

Merseyman1 Level 4 Dec 28, 2018

Decomposition.
Check out Mary Roach's Stiff: Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. She has an excellent, relatable writing style.

chalupacabre Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

Is her real name Mary Roach STIFF? Cuz people with relatable names are in the profession, There;'s an actual name for that (little did I know) called Aprtonym. This site has examples. Famous football stars named Ball. [en.wikipedia.org]. Here are other examples. Colin Bass, British bassist in the rock band Camel[4]
Lance Bass, bass singer for the American pop boy band NSYNC[6]

@K9Kohle789 the apostrophe s was intended to indicate possessive. I was referring to the author Mary Roach and her book, Stiff: Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
[amazon.com]

@chalupacabre STIFF is my second favorite book of hers next to SPOOK with BONK a close third.

She pretty much has something involving cadavers in every book she's ever written. smile001.gif

Edited

the brain, which creates our consciousness, dies, so our consciousness stops existing. our bodies decompose. that's it. the end.

g

genessa Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

WooooHoooo, yeee-HAH! Go worms and beetles!

@PalacinkyPDX they crawl in, they crawl out, they play pinochle.... my grandfather used to play that but he was no worm!

g

@genessa Yes, pinochle and canasta... two nearly-extinct old Jew card games.

@PalacinkyPDX excuuuuuse meeeee "jew card game"?????!!!!!
What kind of nasty racist/nazi remark was That?

@AnneWimsey I, a Hebress, am discussing my culture, missy. And, yes, canasta was a game much favored by we older Jews of a certain era. It's now rarely played as that generation has died out. The late Totie Fields often discussed canasta in her standup comedy routines.

Edited

@PalacinkyPDX well, my lily-white anglo-saxons played pinochle and/or canasta at least once a week amongst the family or at card parties for over 70 years. And both are Huge at Senior Centers and Board Game Meetups around the world. I guess now everything has to have a racial label? Or belong to an ethnic group? Pinochle began in France & Germany, for courtiers, according to Google, deriving from the older game "bezique". Canasta is native to Uraguay. So not so much "old jewish".......
And BTW, do you enjoy slinging around "old jew" the way some black people sling around racial epithets, because " it's okay when we say it"? Just wondering.......

@AnneWimsey Then we have cultural intersection.smile001.gif. Yes, everything has a label... either we label it ourselves or someone will do it for us.

Ever since my mom died 6 years ago, I have wondered. My mom, for example, sits in a box on my book shelf. At least the remaining ashes of her physical form. Her feelings, thoughts, strong opinions, beliefs... They live on in the people she shared her life with. In after life, all I can prove is that she is ash in a bag, inside a box.

angelashupe Level 4 Dec 27, 2018

Why the past tense? Are you already dead or do you think we are?

Marionville Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

Usually decomposition starts setting in.

DenoPenno Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

You are a fleeting thought in a universe that is as far as we can tell just becoming aware of itself for the first time. We aren't aware enough yet to really have a universal identity, but like the flash of a lightning bugs ass we each have our moment, and then we're gone. Enjoy your light while it last, I know damn well I will.

Mortal Level 7 Dec 27, 2018

"We play saxophone for an all-girl cabaret in New Orleans" --- Hobbes

John_Tyrrell Level 7 Dec 27, 2018

Someone please tag me whenever somebody posts the mandatory twice weekly "What happens after death?" question so that I can continue to repost this Calvin & Hobbes in reply.

Gotta love Calvin & Hobbes!

We cried, mourned, had a funeral, buried our loved one, and tried to navigate life without those we love.

Benthoven Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

Been dead twice...more peaceful, quiet, and far less scary than what was actually going on. Came back to pain, fear, and worry. Did Not come back wanting to save the world or any such claptrap!!! Will be at peace to go again.

AnneWimsey Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

I don’t know. I haven’t died yet.

Susan74 Level 4 Dec 27, 2018

As long as there is no Ted Danson, I will be in a good place. 😁

bioman888 Level 3 Dec 27, 2018

In my case, anything useful gets harvested for organ transplants, the rest goes to the local medical school.

MrBeelzeebubbles Level 7 Dec 27, 2018

Who knows? Maybe disintegration maybe ecstasy. One things for sure, we’ll all find out one day so make the most of what is in front of you now. No need to speculate on the end of things. Let the religious types ponder that one.

Geoffrey51 Level 7 Dec 27, 2018

All I can say for sure is that there is lots of worms envolved.

Casey07 Level 6 Jan 21, 2019

Eternal oblivion.

Qwent91 Level 4 Jan 13, 2019

Someone bit the dust. The worms had a feast. Birds ate the worms. Beasts ate the birds. We ate the beasts.

MLinoge Level 6 Jan 13, 2019

Who died?

GeorgeRocheleau Level 7 Jan 12, 2019

A very very long nap is ahead

musicallyme88 Level 3 Jan 2, 2019

I will never know

august70 Level 4 Jan 2, 2019

Nothing

Bobby9 Level 7 Dec 27, 2018

After death the other birth begins and genetic material memories carried over.
If it happens in the middle of nowhere in the wilderness, some animals wouldn’t mind a road kill feast and work on your lifeless body till bones. Then perhaps everyone will stop looking for ya, but your identity can still live in social networks and even bank Accounts
Not so simple as it seems
Stay alive and happy instead smile009.gif

Antidronefreeman Level 8 Dec 27, 2018

My humble opinion & I'm not dead yet so can't truly answer your past tense question altho there are those who HAVE died and lived to tell about it.
Most life on the planet is composed of energy. When anything dies the energy is reusable. Like grass dies but lives on in herbIvores. Herbivores die but life goes on in predators or feeds the wild and soil. I like to think we come back into another life form. So I believe in reincarnation. Each of us select our next life thru our energy. If we do that it's under the pretext of learning or teaching. You can be an infant that dies-this teaches. Or you can choose to be a parent who loses a child-learns.
When I was a child and asked what death was to an a) an atheist dad and b) a pantheist mom I got 'it's like sleeping'. So who do you imagine needs drugs to fall asleep and keep me asleep? I was afraid of sleeping. Also Christian children say this before-sleep-prayer: "If I should die before I wake I pray the lord my soul to take." That only exacerbated my sleep issues.

K9Kohle789 Level 5 Dec 27, 2018
Write Comment
Humanist does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Humanist.com is the largest non-profit community for humanists!