Humanist.com

37 9

Agnostic wicca

Ive been practicing wicca without the use of dieties for awhile. I get the same benifits without them. I believe in souls/ energy that encompasses everything. However this is my first post here so i figure lets get the overly opinionated ppl out of the way. Thoughts pertaining to the agnostic witch- and go!

RowanGypsie 3 Jan 14

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"lets get the overly opinionated ppl out of the way. "

The term you're looking for is "factual". We're not getting out of the way.

There are ways of telling if you are a witch.

Meh. Sounds like another term for "hippie".

If you believe you're in touch with souls, knock yourself out. I'll be over here, gnoshing on pancakes.

I am a pagan atheist--it is not a term or idea that I made up. Pagan atheists revere nature but do not worship it.

Not sure if you've had occasion to meet @Atheopagan here on this site, but you'd likely have some things in common. He's not on here as much as he used to be, but he has an active blog and FB group, I think.

As for myself, I'm sympathetic to the atheopagan approach of recognizing the human utility of ritual metaphors without believing that such rituals qualify as magic in the customary sense. But I only dabble slightly on that side; it's not intellectually persuasive to me but it speaks to my aesthetic sense.

@vertrauen I have not met Atheopagan.

Humans need ritual and create them unconsciously if not deliberately. Ritual speaks to my aesthetic side, as well, and it can help me focus. "Magic" is psychological. When I was a practicing pagan, I had a run-in with a manager at Walmart (where I worked for almost two years) who was a bully. I refused to back down. A week or so later, it got around to me that he was convinced that I had cast a spell on him because a heavy door swung shut on his foot and broke his toe--there was no reason why the door should have closed as it did.

He finally got enough nerve to ask me about it. I smiled and said, "You'll never know, will you?" He treated me with respect the rest of the time that I worked there.

Had I been able to cast spells, his foot would not have been the target!

Does that mean I could be a sausage atheist because I love them but don’t worship them?

@Geoffrey51 If it works for you, go for it.

I see can understand that.

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

To make the comment ‘overtly opinionated’ is probably a bit strong on your ‘first day’ if you want to be taken seriously.

Fill out your bio then you may be given credence but at the moment you come across as rude and entitled.

Been there. Done that.

You are the only one coming off rude, he’s just being honest

@Esot-Eric

You are the only one coming off rude

I think the likes would suggest otherwise. But either way the request to complete a bio is a good one

Or, you know, you can just evaluate statements and positions as they come. Bios are completely immaterial in this.

@Esot-Eric Sorry to offend, but it happens. Best block me because it will probably offend again

In my early teen to mid 40's I was deeply into magic, magick, occultism in general and ceremonial magic in particular. I studied many, many differing types/forms of magic. Never once, in all that time, did I ever see or experience anything that was unexplainable.

I have had more than one occasion to work with Wicca and was well versed in Gardnerian and Alexandrian traditions as well as many of the eclectic types that tend to flourish. Lots of solo practitioners out there. Needless to say, I don't believe in any of this stuff now but I do find it really useful on trivia night!

On the the fun stuff: Magic isn't real, no matter how much we wish it to be. I'm unsure about what benefits you derive from the practice but that doesn't matter. If it makes you happy, then go for it, but I would ask some questions.

So you are agnostic? Ok. Good start. Why not just go that extra step and stop magical thinking? Critical thinking is MUCH more profitable and useful and helpful and in general will lead you to better outcomes.

Why add in a made up religion to the mix? Have you asked yourself - "what is magic?" - that's a good place to begin too. What makes that plausible in your world view?

I mean absolutely no disrespect and I'm sorry in advance for some of the answers you are likely to get.

Chllin' and gellin' with that Abramelin, eh? And a Discordian???

Were we separated at birth or something??

@LatentumCattus Ex OTO, 25 years, Vth degree.. All hail Discordia and 90-fucking-3!

@SenorRotten - I skirted the edges of the Order, but never took the plunge. Dabbled in the Gardnerian style wicca for a while too.

But I do remain a card carrying Pope straight from the Principia.

All Hail Eris!

@LatentumCattus I always loved RA Wilson's books (not the Principia). One of the first things I read.

@SenorRotten - Definitely a fan of the "Cosmic Trigger" series, so long as one doesn't take it too terribly seriously.

@LatentumCattus Lol! no. Never too serious because hell, the Discordian stuff is pretty far from serious. I met some weird folks in TOPY a long time ago and yeah, even for me they were weird. Took that stuff a lettle too seriously.

@SenorRotten - LOL, true story. Not so "youth" anymore, though.... That's a name I haven't heard for quite a while!! Yeah, I try to let things be what I DO, rather than what I AM. I can't hang with the hardcores.

@LatentumCattus I was one of those qabalah nerd you always saw standing in the corner with 3 other guys and we always sounded like this: "So yeah, the Hod of the 2nd world descending into Yetzirah via the Nepsesh and the Chi with the Lust card from the tarot on the 20th path" - Shudder..I used to be like that. Now? I'd rather discuss cooking or guitar.

@SenorRotten - LOL, yep, that's hardcore!!

Gotcha - me too, I am far more versed in kitchen lore than anything else!

@LatentumCattus When occultists "retire"....;-P

I will pass on the souls part but energy is another thing. We have barely scraped the surface of what the universe is or the underlying energy involved to hold it together.

Most of us here are critical thinkers, skeptics and require empirical evidence. If by wicca you mean some belief in a supernatural world you aren't likely to find many allies here.

I can't see the point in saying one is an Atheist but still believe in worshipping the sun, the zodiac, unicorns, witchcraft or voodoo.

Oddly enough there are many that do.

@DavidLaDeau Oddly enough there are many that believe in worshipping gods.

My take on Wicca is totally different than yours.

Well what do you know.. a Tricca... trolling wicca. 🤣

I am am a "hard" atheist. My girlfriend is a 5th generation witch that she knows of and does not believe in dieities. She is a wiccian by title only. She knows that I don't believe in anything magick or spiritual. We simply accept our differing beliefs and do not tey to change one another. I do however accuse her of putting me under her spell though!

What sorts of benefits do you get from this Wicca stuff?

Probably nothing you would understand. Not trying to be condescending one either gets it or they do not. Read some books, there are many out there. If you are in Portland, Oregon go to Powell's and hang out in the women's section as that is also (or used to be) where the good books are.

Worship nature, spirits, elves, the great Drictmins, the void, whatever you want. Just don't expect me to get all excited and supportive and shit about it, cause I think it's all bullocks.

1of5 Level 8 Jan 14, 2020

Life is a journey and I can respect your location on that journey while not agreeing with what you think while you're there.

gearl Level 7 Jan 14, 2020

Energy changes forms but I can pass on the souls part. You are the soul. It does not mean that you have one or have been given one.

Before I met Kate I dated several women who considered themselves to be witches. They were all great people, smart, honest, compassionate, and political (basically how I met them). I would do this again without question, (I am Married and have no agenda on this) You will get many posts saying any number of things, Hopefully I will get to read some of them. Good luck and remember what they say tells you more about them than you.

"Overly opinionated ppl"😀

Define the soul. And how do you quantify and/or measure this soul?

Sounds like New Age woo woo to me. I prefer the scientific method and empirical data to drive my worldview.

I use the wheel of seasons to force myself to acknowledge and celebrate the passage of time and seasons. Other than that I don't believe in anything...

Believe what you want but ensure you recognise it as belief and not knowledge. And please don't tell us any "truths". If it floats your boat, good onya!
Like they say, belief is like your dick; Be proud of it by all means but best to keep it in your pants rather than shove it in peoples faces, trying to ram it down their throats.

Guess that analogy works for men, eh? Women, not having dicks, have nothing to be proud of or shove down that the throats of others.

@Gwendolyn2018 You have dicks, just innies. Us men have outies. Admittedly harder to shove down peoples throats, but can be done 😉

@powder No, women do not have "innies." That belief went out centuries ago. I am sure that you are trying to be amusing, but you are failing--except for guys who think that dick jokes are funny.

I don’t think anyone has the right to tell another person what they should or shouldn’t talk about. If someone wants to talk about their beliefs they should feel encouraged to do so, not threatened. Maybe talking about it with friends can help them understand why it’ may or may not be logical. I say nothing should off limits!

@Gwendolyn2018 When Powder was using that metaphor he was addressing the original poster.......who is male.

@MsDemeanour I understand that, but it was still a poor and tasteless analogy, especially in a forum where posts are general and open to comments by everyone.

@Gwendolyn2018 You understand comedy is an art form, and that no art will please everyone. My statement was confronting. It obviously confronted your sensibilities and you took offence.
Life. No-one need apologise here.

This thread is why we can't have nice things.

And yes, women do in fact have things they can shove down throats... just look down. They're twice as armed for the purpose as men are.

An’ ye harm none, do what ye will.

Very witchy of you! LOL!

Oh, and be sure to remember to turn out the lights and lock the door when you go...

kthxbai

If you practice wicca without gods....how are you doing that?... are you just asking archangels for help in rituals and blessings then? That would be like a catholic not embracing god---praying only to the son and the holy spirit...so then would they be a catholic? and you a wiccan?

Why does anyone else's opinion matter to you, though? Do you!

Just trading one type of woo for another. Enjoy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:449169
Humanist does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.